Psyche Science Goals and Objectives (Asteroid Chillin’)
T.M.S. (Aurelia L. Waller)
Major: Astronomical and Planetary Sciences
Genre/Medium: BandLab, Clips, iMovie, Paint 3D
About the work: “Psyche Science Goals and Objectives (Asteroid Chillin’)” is a song with a fun twist talking about Psyche’s science goals and objectives. I thought it would be neat to bring music to a STEM list.
Psyche Science Goals
- Understand a previously unexplored building block of planet formation: iron cores.
- Look inside terrestrial planets, including Earth, by directly examining the interior of a differentiated body, which otherwise could not be seen.
- Explore a new type of world. For the first time, examine a world made not of rock and ice, but metal.
Psyche Science Objectives
- Determine whether Psyche is a core, or if it is unmelted material.
- Determine the relative ages of regions of Psyche’s surface.
- Determine whether small metal bodies incorporate the same light elements as are expected in the Earth’s high-pressure core.
- Determine whether Psyche was formed under conditions more oxidizing or more reducing than Earth’s core.
- Characterize Psyche’s topography.